August Featured Artist: Mike Byers

Posted on | Monday, August 1, 2011 | 1 Comment

Glass artist Mike Byers showing in the special exhibit room for the entire month of August. Opening night August 5th - come meet the artist!

Artist Opening Friday,  August 5, 7:00pm - 9:00pm


About Mike in his own words:
I started working with stained glass in the early 1970s, and in 1986 I quit my job with an aircraft engineering company to work with glass full-time. I started Raven Glass Studio in Warrenton, Virginia in 1986, doing stained glass architectural commissions and with Michael Fulton, another Virginia artist, began to work with kiln-formed glass.

In 1992, my wife Pam and I moved to Indiana (about three miles from where I grew up, and a house that I had helped my brother build in 1976) where I was fortunate to obtain a grant from the Indiana Arts Commission to attend the glass fusing school in Colton, Oregon and study with Boyce Lundstrom and Jim Bowman. This school gave me the technical information I needed to make the pieces I had always imagined, and I soon found that my matted and framed kiln-formed pieces had become more of what I was doing than the stained glass panels. My grandmother had been an oil painter and had always encouraged me to paint and draw, and the semi-liquid nature of hot glass particularly appealed to me because it allowed for designs without the constraints of the lead lines of stained glass. I also found that I liked the effect of combining metals such as copper and sandblasted steel with the glass.

I enjoy working with other materials, too; often making pieces that are by no means traditional “art”. For the most part, these pieces will have an element of humor; frequently somewhat dark and cynical I must admit.

Since my larger glass pieces created a large quantity of small glass pieces that would otherwise be scrap, I started experimenting with smaller items such as jewelry, bottle stoppers, glass nail files and so forth. These are fun to make, and allow me to use some rather expensive glass pieces that I would hate to throw away.

My larger pieces are handled by Susie Gibbs Gallery in Lafayette, Indiana, by Sleepy Creek Vineyards (south of Oakwood, Illinois) and Sharon Owens’ Inspired Fire studio in Shadeland, Indiana, where I teach an introduction to glass fusing several times a year.

Follow Mike's blog:
http://bailiffs-hollow.blo​gspot.com/2011/07/athens-o​f-indiana.html

Comments

One Response to “August Featured Artist: Mike Byers”

  1. Anonymous
    January 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM

    Mike Byers
    Would you allow Cynthia S and myself to visit your workshop to see how you fuse glass with different melting temps?
    Or would you call me-Susan @ 847-347-2931..to explain process to me?

Leave a Reply